Sunday, March 11, 2012

Left Inside: Custom Bookplates

Here's a collection of custom bookplates.

The only person I was successful in discovering anything about was the man at left. Mr. Ryan attended University of Illinois at Chicago during the 1930s where he studied business and accounting. I know nothing about anyone else whose names appear on these bookplates.

Neil McKnight seems to have a vague ring about it.  It's possible he may be either a collector of note or someone in the book trade - a critic or bibliographer perhaps.  A Google search, however, turned up zippo on him.

I've seen the Neil McKnight bookplate several times and they tend to turn up in science fiction and supernatural books.  I can't remember which book this fell out of.

2 comments:

  1. I love bookplates, but learned early not to use them as they "deface" the book. Antioch made a lot of great ones, I had a catalog about 40 years ago or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice~! I love this matter as well.

    ReplyDelete

This is not a message board. It is a blog where we can discuss vintage mystery and supernatural fiction. Please confine your comments to the post or vintage books and their authors. Any other remarks will be deleted. If you want to address me personally about anything other than the post, send me an email. The email link is found on my Profile page.