Wednesday, December 21, 2011

VIDEO: Dean Martin and "The Christmas Blues"

Here's an antidote for anyone like me who is tiring of "Frosty the Snowman," "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus," "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" and the rest of those novelty Christmas tunes being piped in everywhere you go.

I had never heard this song until yesterday and I thought I knew all the sad Christmas songs ever written. It's kind of swingy and upbeat for a song that's all about loneliness.

Music by David Holt, lyrics by the incomparable Sammy Cahn. Vocal by the coolest member of the Rat Pack (IMO). I think he had a few too many cocktails before coming onstage.

If the video doesn't play in the window below you can watch it here.


4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you, John, and your family. A timely video considering I've bought a beautiful ice bucket and martini shaker as a present for my brother. hA!

    For me, the loneliest Christmas song has always been, I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS...

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, sorry we didn't find this post sooner. Very cool of you to homage our Dino in this way indeed he is "the coolest member of the Rat Pack." Never was, never will be anyone as cool as the King of Cool....oh, to return to the days when Dino walked the earth. Know that your reflections are being shared this day at ilovedinomartin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, thanks! Appreciate the plug and the fab hipster talk on your swingin' Dino tribute blog.

      Merry Christmas to you and all your swingin' pals!

      Delete
  3. Hey pallie, likes all lthe thanks is to you dude for spreadin' some Dino-love at your blog.
    Every now and then we likes to inteview those who dig our Dino for a feature at ilovedinomartin. Wonderin' if you might consider havin' your Dino-tale told?

    ReplyDelete