Tuesday, April 23, 2019

NEW STUFF: The Stranger Diaries - Elly Griffiths

Finally, I can pay back a frequent plugger of my posts. Having read a review of
The Stranger Diaries (2018) on the highly entertaining and often eye-opening blog Clothes in Books by blogosphere pal, Edgar Award banquet dinner mate, and one time theater companion Moira Redmond I reserved a copy from my local library. We had to wait until February 2019 for a US edition and it took about a month after its release before one of the 15 copies in our library system came my way. When I got my hands on the the book I read it fairly quickly and enjoyed it immensely. I have only a minor quibble with the less than dazzling ending.

In a nutshell this is the story of a murdered English teacher, the relationships she had with her staff, a secret in the past that occurred at a creative writing workshop, and the eerie ghost story "The Stranger" that has become an obsession with the killer.  Clare Cassady, the protagonist and a co-worker of the victim, happens to be working on a biography of R. M. Holland, the author of the ghost story. The police find that fact a little too suspicious to be mere coincidence.

Elly Griffith's first stand-alone mystery novel is most notable for its literary tricks. She alternates between three different first person narratives plus Clare’s diary, and Georgie’s diary (Clare’s daughter). And of course Holland's “The Stranger” broken up into pieces throughout the novel and then appearing in one continuous narrative including its O. Henry like finale as the closing section of the book.

I liked the frequent literary allusions to detective and ghost story fiction. Clare is an English teacher and a devotee of Victorian novels, notably Wilkie Collins. Georgie has been influenced by her mother’s tastes, one of the consequences is her unhealthy obsession with “The Stranger” which she reads every Halloween night in a ritual that includes lighted candles and a smoking pot of burning herbs.

I found Detective Sgt. Harbinder Kaur’s narrative sections amusing. It always makes me smile when a writer creates literally-minded police (either male or female) who cannot wrap their heads around what makes creative people tick. Harbinder doesn’t understand keeping a journal or a diary, she tends not to find anything related to imaginative thinking useful, and has little sympathy or use for dreamers. She is also absurdly judgmental and prejudiced against beautiful or attractive people. Such a snarky cynic! Her narration is peppered with juvenile digs at Clare’s height, her curvaceous physique, her clothes and her “posh” manner. I imagine that Harbinder doesn’t think much of herself. I think there’s a section where she looks at herself in a mirror and is generally displeased with what she sees. I didn’t mark the page though and I’m not going back to hunt for it. She lives with her parents and has mixed feelings about how she ended up where she is.  An interesting angle to the plot is that she is a graduate of the secondary school where the murder victim taught English. So the murder investigation for her is tainted with unpleasant memories of her teen years and unexpected reminders of her past like discovering that her first boyfriend (a failure of an attempt to be straight) is now a teacher at the school they both attended.

For the most part I thought the young people were spot on in their characterizations. Georgie’s narration tends to be a bit too mature at times, but I started to see where it was supposed to be consciously pretentious in the manner most teens can get when they think they’re being literary on paper. The speech and attitudes of the rest of the teens were pretty accurate and didn’t trouble me at all as unrealistically precocious or cartoonishly immature teens do when I encounter them in fiction.

There is a slight puzzle related to the identity of Mariana, believed to be R. M. Holland’s daughter who supposedly died very young and whether or not he believed her ghost to be haunting him. I figured out that little puzzle instantly because Griffiths plants the one clue for that rather blatantly in the very first chapter.

The identity of the murderer is slightly surprising but I was hoping it was going to be someone different, the truly least likely suspect that would’ve made the novel truly brilliant. As written I sort of went, “Oh, of course!” It’s the only way it could possible make sense what with all the various plot tricks and machinations. But for me the story ended like a 1990s Lifetime channel romantic suspense movie and reminded me also of the worst of Phyllis Whitney and Mary Higgins Clark books. Not as potent as it could have been and fairly obvious if you well acquainted with the conventions of this subgenre that features so many permutations of obsessive-compulsive love/lust.

But there’s no denying that the novel up to its less than startling ending is exciting, full of bizarre mysteries and populated with complex, intriguing and life-like characters. They are some effectively creepy scenes, some genuinely frightening, and I can imagine that The Stranger Diaries has the capacity to scare the daylights out of a lot of readers who have not devoured rooms full of thrillers with similar plots as I have.

4 comments:

  1. I am certainly a devotee of both M.R. James and Wilkie Collins but although I find the theme of this book intriguing it would be a difficult read for me due to the author's constant use of the present tense - a stylistic affectation which simply grates. To me it's like a constantly repeated minor chord which is never resolved. OK if used as contrast - such as way back in Bleak House - o/w thanks but no thanks. I wonder if this increasingly widespread mode of writing originates from play/film scripts or from it's use in other languages, notably French ? I know I'm not alone in this 'allergy ' - I recently heard the same complaint from a caller to a BBC R4 book programme. Oh well - Mike Vawdrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of present tense in fiction either. But I figured the motif of diary writing mixing with creative writing allowed for an interesting comment on the use of present tense. It didn't really bother me this time. I think its overuse and popularity among younger writers is largely due to creative writing courses that now flourish in colleges and universities. It's relatively old hat now and far from "experimental" as it used to be. I tend to think of writers who use it now as being pretentious and self-consciously arty. Maybe Griffiths is drawing attention to literary pretension in both Clare and Georgie.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate your points. I've looked at most of Ellie Griffiths novels and all I've seen are written in the present tense. I agree that content sometimes overrides any stylistic infelicities. A case in point for me was The Shivering Turn by the very prolific and consequently underrated Sally Spencer(Alan Rustage). I almost put the book down but was soon drawn into the intriguing storyline and consumed it at a sitting. Worth investigating I think - Mike Vawdrey

      Delete
  2. I love the mention! I should put that in my biog. I was very much noticing the one-year anniversary - that was truly one of the most memorable and wonderful trips of my life... and it was splendid to share so much of it with you.
    And... so glad you had some enthusiasm for the book. I have recently decided to re-read it: I raced through it when I got hold of it, and feel it would stand another go. And then will read your review again...

    ReplyDelete