Thursday, February 17, 2022

Three Detective Novels by Brian Flynn

The more I read of Brian Flynn the more I realize why he was never recognized or remembered for his work. He just isn’t consistently good. First off, he is a terrible prose stylist in his early books with some awful sentence structures that were screaming out to an editor for a full-on assault of the blue pencil.  His page length paragraphs are syntactically irksome, the narrative gets repetitive with redundant “our story thus far” recaps, he uses eccentric vocabulary when plain language will serve better  (vaticinate is a favorite bizarre word choice instead of foretell or prognosticate) All of these sins pile up sometimes on the same page and are detrimental to his engaging plots and lively incidents. I’m trying to forgive him for all of this but it’s hard to ignore when an avalanche of verbosity occurs in the most inconvenient places impeding the enjoyment of the story and interrupting the flow of action.

The biggest of his sins, however, is his failure to honor the fair play tradition. The adventures of Anthony Bathurst are overloaded with last minute reveals with nary a clue offered up that relates to that reveal. He indulges in the unfavorable practice of having a character lowering a speaking voice and not recording what is said. In essence they whisper to each other without the benefit of the reader knowing what was said. Similarly, characters write things on pieces of paper rather than openly speaking their ideas once again leaving the reader left out of the action. Makes me boil.  Grrr...

One thing I particularly dislike – an indulgence I think Flynn must have thought was uproariously funny – is his habit of taking cliches and aphorisms and rewriting them to make them sound like jokes. I found examples of this annoying gimmick in each one of the books I recently read. To do this in one or two books as an homage to the renowned Mrs. Malaprop, say, would be acceptable. But it happens all the time, in all of his books. Flynn never seems to grow tired of his dubious wordplay. Everyone engages in this paraphrasing of proverbs (a preposterous idea for any fiction writer), including Bathurst himself. I’ve cited several of them in the capsule reviews below.

And yet...  somehow I can't get enough of these books!  What keeps me reading are Flynn’s inventive plots, his unceasing imagination and his absolute love for the genre. He really does love a mystery. In The Ebony Stag, for example, Bathurst makes an allusion to Monsieur Hanaud, the French detective created by A.E. W. Mason, best known for his star turn in The House of the Arrow. Detective short stories and novels are repeatedly mentioned as often as Flynn’s habit of having Bathurst cite obscure poems and arcane works of literature. Additionally, Flynn was willing to experiment with the form in his later years deviating from the formulae of the traditional Q&A investigation, evidence gathering and clue hunting to try his hand at pulpish thrillers, Grand Guignol horror, inverted detective novels and in one specific book a rather mature handling of the psychological crime novel specifically dealing with a theme later explored by dozens of crime fiction writers– the infection of a crime on an individual's moral character and conscience. Flynn gets better at plotting once he reached the third decade of his career in the 1940s. I only wish he abandoned some of his irksome writing habits as he seemed to mature in other areas like concocting deviously engineered murders, devising unusual motivations and plumbing the depths of murderous minds with trenchant insight.

The Padded Door (1932),  11th book in the series Dislike the heavy-handed metaphor of the title taken from a line that appears in "The Ballad of Reading Gaol" by Oscar Wilde. The line is used an epigraph to the novel. It refers to a prisoner awaiting the "hangman with his gardener’s gloves/Slip[ping] through the padded door."  The novel begins with a well-used plot motif – a man wrongfully accused of murder and the desperate fight to get him acquitted at trial. First half of the novel tells the story of the trial and how the defense manages to pull off a miracle. Second half is a murder mystery when a shocking reveal of a second murder victim upends the plot's main thrust.

I pride myself on seeing through the biggest piece of misdirection in this cleverly told story. Flynn breaks a few rules here, almost pulling off a trick worthy of one Agatha Christie’s best mystery novels. But he let his cards show before the final reveal. Fair play clueing is present for some bits, otherwise I’d not have been tipped off.  In other areas, however Bathurst delivers some info in the final pages without ever letting the reader know what he was doing. The Stilton cheese business, for example, was utterly unfair but easily could have been dealt with in a subtle and fair manner. There is also some unfair business when the doctor who examines the murder victim gives us details about the time of death. Huge cheat on Flynn’s part that may mislead most readers. This is later explained, but the reason is lazy and lame.

REWRITTTEN APHORISM (spoken by Sir Robert Frant, father of the accused on trial) "There are two ends of the candle, you know, and combustion should only be at work at one of them."

The Ebony Stag (1938), #22 in series  This is a splendidly told, exciting mystery. I was pleasantly surprised by the whole thing. Quite the ripping yarn.  The story is teeming with Golden Age conventions: a rhyming riddle, lost treasure, secret identities, impostors, a bizarre murder method, a nearly impossible crime in an almost locked room.  It’s a real page turner and Flynn’s writing is pretty good in this one. Unfortunately, it gets bogged down towards the end when he resorts to his old bad habits of suspense-killing rambling monologues, ill-timed recapping and a completely pointless tabulation scene the likes of which even Carolyn Wells would shake her head while reading.

But still the good far outweighs the bad here. An elderly retired gentleman is gruesomely murdered by an unknown weapon in his locked cottage. Only a small window was open but the opening was barely big enough to allow entry for a boy who manages to get in and unbolt the door for the gent’s niece. She comes by to check up on her uncle and then must enlist the help of the boy. The figure of the title is found broken by the body. The missing weapon and the reason for the broken stag are pale in comparison to a larger mystery when it is soon discovered that the murdered man is not who everyone thought he was. The story grows ever more intriguing as it progresses. Very much recommended if you’re looking for one of the truly entertaining Anthony Bathurst detective novels.

REWRITTTEN APHORISM (spoken by Bathurst) “But Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, if you remember, once warned a certain Horatio concerning the possibilities continued in heaven and earth that were omitted from their philosophy.” [So clunky. Not funny at all. Why not just quote the line verbatim? Every other mystery writer quoted that line ad nauseam throughout the Golden Age.]

There is also a character named Frederick Gulliver Sparke-Lodge in The Ebony Stag who mixes metaphors and speaks in dozens of these mangled proverbs. I’ll spare you any sampling of that nonsense.

Such Bright Disguises (1941), #27 in the series. Bathurst does not appear until the final third of this truly remarkable crime novel. It’s not really a detective novel until the final third when all that preceded is turned on its head with a final double twist that I thought rather brilliant. The bulk of the novel is, in fact, an inverted crime novel and tells the story of two adulterous lovers who plot the murder of the wife’s husband. There are some mysterious elements introduced in the story that make you doubt what you think was almost a certainty. This is part of Flynn’s clever melding of pure detective novel and inverted detective novel. It’s his attempt to write a mystery novel in the style of Francis Iles, I’d say. Crime fiction fans will draw comparisons to Malice Aforethought, Payment Deferred by C. S. Forrester, This Way Out by James Ronald and the works of James M. Cain. They all came to mind as I read Flynn’s book, but one classic work stood out more.

The deeper I plunged into this dark novel the more I was reminded of Thérèse Raquin, one of Emile Zola’s superior crime novels to explore the guilt of adulterous lovers and how after committing and covering up a murder they are doomed to never forget what they’ve done. In Flynn’s novel Lawrence and Dorothy are the duplicitous lovers. As a consequence of their criminal act their desire and lust wither away under the weight of guilt and remorse. Dorothy has nightmares and is literally haunted by the ghost of her husband. Ultimately, they begin to distrust one another and madness and paranoia begin to set in. There is no happy ending here with Flynn delivering a whopper of a surprise in the final pages. Of the handful of Flynn’s novels I’ve read this is his most mature, almost a melodramatic mainstream novel of psychology with crime as a side dish, rather than a crime novel as the main course.

Psychological crime fans, inverted detective novel lovers and anyone looking for a dark and noirish crime story will be thoroughly satisfied with Such Bright Disguises. I’m convinced it is one of Flynn’s finest novels and I’ve only read seven so far.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I *just* started The Murders Near Mapleton. Which book are you referring to as "Grand Guignol horror" in this review? I'd like to try it as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Grand Guignol style deaths are to your liking, then you might enjoy The Iron Stag, Cold Evil, They Never Came Back and The Triple Bite. There may be others among the 50+ titles, but I have yet to uncover any more. I'm relying on Amazon reviews to help point out elements of the story that would tempt me to read the book. I don't think the way the books are marketed highlight detective novel conventions and subgenres that would trigger a quick purchase. The Iron Stag, for instance, ought to have been marketed as both a treasure hunt mystery and an impossible crime mystery. But neither aspect is mentioned o=in either the reprint blurb or the intro.

      Delete
    2. I meant "The Ebony Stag," of course. A demon possessed me temporarily and made me type Iron Stag in all these comments. I've been exorcised since.

      Delete
  2. I agree. His writing style is terrible. I am sure that despite the efforts of you know who, he will again be forgotten after 20 years or so !.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He comes close to outdoing James Corbett sometimes. But will never dethrone him as the King of Bad Mystery Writing.

      Delete
    2. I think Flynn's appeal-having read all the DSP reprints- is that you plod along with a few very average ones, then, out of the blue, there is one which really hits the spot. He does keep trying different ideas, styles, and sub genres, and sometimes it works. Overall this latest tranche has thrown up more enjoyment than usual. As well as the two you review here, I particularly enjoyed Glittering Prizes.

      As for the quality of the writing, he does show off a bit,and can irritate, but all writers have their own stylistic foibles, even those greater than Flynn.
      I enjoyed your reviews, as always. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. Yes, perhaps I went overboard in my disdain for the purple prose and eccentric writing style. Gladys Mitchell has a style that also often irritates me. And I'm sure there are others who I let slide by. But reading three Flynns in row made the flaws stand out that much more. I plan to space out my Flynn reading for the rest of this year and not read one right after the other. Good to hear that one that I purchased is among your favorites. I'll now eagerly look forward to my reading of Glittering Prizes. (Are you perhaps the reviewer who signs himself "ceric7" over at Amazon?)

      Delete
    4. Yes I am ceric7.
      Interesting that you mention
      the Great Gladys as I am currently having another go at getting to grips with her.

      I also have a question about James Quince. You mentioned his second book back in 2014 but I can't find a review. Did you read it? I've just read The Tin Tree and Casual Slaughters and was pretty impressed.

      Delete
  3. I am very happy to read that you also enjoyed Such Bright Disguises. I had a great time with that one for many of the same reasons you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the best of the three I read. I probably could've written a full post on that book. But I kept putting off the actual writing. (I read ...Disguises in December and finished Iron Stag just a few days ago.) The notes however accumulated, bits and pieces were sitting in the Drafts file of this blog, and I thought I have to get them out of the Drafts and published. So I put them all together in this single post.

      Oddly, despite what seems like a lot of kvetching about his flaws and weaknesses, I keep buying his books because it turns out that three of the Brian Flynn reviewers on Amazon seem to have very similar tastes to mine. Each of the four star rated mystery novels has turned out to be worthwhile reading (overlooking the standard flaws that make Flynn a lesser writer). I bought six other books (!) and will be reading them over the next couple of months. Hope that I find another jewel like Such Bright Disguises in that batch.

      Delete
  4. Have only read the first in the Bathurst series. That didn't impress and so have not gone back to it. Perhaps one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Billiard Room Mystery (the first Anthony Bathurst mystery by Flynn) was one that I didn't really get into either, Neer. Bathurst turned me off in the first two chapters. He comes off as egocentric and unlikeable to me. A patronizing "mansplainer" and know-it-all of the 1920s. This is a type of ficitional detective extremely popular in the 1920s, mostly turning up in the US as in the many cases of those who were imitating Philo Vance and his esoteric knowledge and pseudo-urbane personality. Graydon McKelvie, a detective created by Marion Harvey, is very much like Bathurst in his first outing. I didn't really like him either, but McKelvie's meant to be a parody of egocentric detectives and he's easier to take. Anyway, I closed the ...Billiard Room... years ago and never returned to it. It wasn't until I found Murder En Route (still my favorite of the Bathurst books) that my opinion of Flynn changed. Maybe I'll go back and try that first one again now that I know what Bathurst is really like.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that Flynn is being discussed both in depth and sensibly. I am in agreement with Mr Bruce; I too found the latest " flight of Flynns " to be the best . I am not as bothered by the " bad " writing style . I do know that when it comes to style that there are many worse who are household names and have never been out of print . !

    I too always enjoy seeing what type of book Flynn will write ; I respect his search for new ideas . I do however wish he would ditch that useless Assistant Commissioner !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that is your personal pet peeve in your Amazon reviews. Sir Austin Kemble does seem like a "bogey character", a term favored by a drama professor who taught me in my undergrad years. Essentially these are pointless characters in plays and novels that could easily be disposed of (and should have been prior to the final published work) without doing any harm to the entire work.

      Next books in my Flynn reading include Cold Evil, Glittering Prizes, Tread Softly, and The Case of the Faithful Heart. Also, have some I bought from the first bunch of ten books released three years ago. Just never got to reading them all. I did like The Triple Bite (so bizarre and strange) which I've reviewed on this blog. I'll probably do another post like this one (less negativity though) with three or more books knocked off in one long essay.

      Delete
  6. I think I'll wait until we review the next three before taking the plunge on Mr. Flynn. I have John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things lined up, not one of his crime novels I now but I am intrigued by it. Wayne.

    ReplyDelete