Sunday, May 27, 2012

JACKET REQUIRED: Murder in the Last Frontier

In response to Steve Lewis' review of Murder Wears Mukluks by Eunice Mays Boyd posted a few days ago at Mystery*File I mentioned that I owned all her books in DJ.  But when I went to my shelves I was proven wrong.  Of the three books only two had DJs.  And so here they are with a lovely map frontispiece doing an understudy bit for the missing DJ.

She wrote only three mysteries, all set in Alaska, the first mystery writer I believe who used that state for the primary setting. Her detective character is F. Millard Smyth, a "little mild-mannered grocer."

All of these photos are at the original size, so clicking won't enlarge them this time.

Boyd's first book - 1943
Honorable Mention in the "3rd Mary Roberts Rinehart Mystery Contest"


from Doom in the Midnight Sun - 1944
The book is simply red with titles on the spine only. Makes for a boring photo.

Her third and final book - 1945

3 comments:

  1. Great covers, John!

    Doom in the Midnight Sun sounds for some reason very familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Murder Breaks Trail in dj too. I keep thinking what if the title were Murder Breaks Wind, but then I suppose I have a low mind.

    ReplyDelete

This is not a message board. It is a blog where we can discuss vintage mystery and supernatural fiction. Please confine your comments to the post or vintage books and their authors. Any other remarks will be deleted. If you want to address me personally about anything other than the post, send me an email. The email link is found on my Profile page.