Thursday, October 22, 2015

Where Has the Time All Gone To?


Marion Elizabeth Brennan Norris 
(September 24, 1922 - October 22, 2015)

August 1986.  I was 24. And Mom was still mastering her
enigmatic Mona Lisa smile. She never showed her teeth. Ever.


SOME OTHER TIME

Music by Leonard Bernstein
Lyrics by Betty Comden & Adolph Green
(from the musical On the Town)


Where has the time all gone to?
Haven't done half the things we want to
Oh well, we'll catch up some other time

This day was just a token
Too many words are still unspoken
Oh well, we'll catch up some other time

Just when the fun is starting
Comes the time for parting
But let's be glad for what we've had
And what's to come ...



The photograph at left was taken in 1942. At the time my mother was working for General Electric where she met my Dad and would marry him two years later. This was a promotional photo for a company newsletter to remind people to turn their clocks ahead to start daylight savings time. She's making a "V for Victory" sign in support of the US army effort.

Here's the tune that makes me think of her every time I hear it.  Very suitable for a fond farewell.






25 comments:

  1. Very sorry to hear the news. Wish you all strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John: My sympathy to you. The photos were wonderful. I am glad you have a lifetime of good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, wonderful tribute and I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos and wonderful songs John. So sorry to hear she passed away. My sincerest condolences to you and yours. All the best mate, Sergio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely tribute, John, for a lovely lady. You look so much like her! Prayers and thoughts coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's passing, John. My condolences to your and your family. And this was indeed a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sorry to come here and find this. A lovely tribute/ There are some good things about technology and this is one of them. She was certainly a very pretty woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very sorry to learn of your loss, John. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tribute my friend, my heart goes out to you

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful remembrance of your mother, John. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, John, for this...terribly sorry for the loss. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so very sorry for your loss, John. This is a beautiful post honoring your mother's memory. I'll be thinking of you and sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear this news. My condolences, John.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of the most difficult things in life is to experience the death of a parent, I offer my best sympathies and condolences, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. …and as you saw yesterday, I also have a "where did the time go?" day, having turned 70.

      Delete
  15. Truly a loving tribute, John. You have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm very sorry to read this. I hope your memories of your mother will be a comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. John, I am so sorry. This is a lovely tribute to your mother. I am sending you all my very best thoughts and hoping you will have comfort in this very difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. John, I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. A wonderful tribute to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks to everyone for your kind words and prayers. My mother would've been embarrassed by all the attention, but I am sincerely touched by the outpouring of sympathy and condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you are doing all right. It takes a while to get over a mother's death. But suddenly the wonderful memories outweigh the sadness. And whether you believe in an afterlife or not, she is with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am the October 23rd Unknown, but I'll come back to note, yes, you don't have to show your teeth when you smile...you can save them for less welcome occasions. As with Patti, hope you are recuperating from the loss as well as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow, John...I've not visited your blog for a while (apologies!) and just now noticed that your mother passed away. So very, very sorry. Belated condolences, and I wish you all the best.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete