Sunday, August 21, 2011

JACKET REQUIRED: Rhodes Less Taken

I'm perhaps a little late with this one as a follow-up to some good reviews of John Rhode's  books by my fellow vintage detective fiction bloggers: TomCat at Detection by Moonlight and Patrick who writes At the Scene of the Crime, but Dr. Priestley has been on my mind of late. I have about eight of his books all begging to be read. I've reviewed only one Rhode and one Miles Burton - Cecil Street's other pseudonym. He's deserving of many more reviews and much more attention than he ever gets. In the meantime, yet another gallery of vintage DJs and two paperback covers all from books featuring Dr. Lancelot Priestley.

Please click on the images for the full size. Forgive the rips and chips and creases. These things are damn old and I'm lucky to own some of them. Thankfully, they've managed to survive this long so you can all ogle and gasp in awe.










4 comments:

  1. The only jackets I like from this bunch are the first one and the Popular Library editions (is that a well at the end of an alley?).

    John Rhode's definitely deserving of a small revival and I will do my part by continuing to review his books on a semi-regular basis – as I have four or five of his books laying around the place.

    Oh, and thanks for the plug! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these are such terrific jackets. I like them most for the creases that mean that people have held them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't have any of John Rhodes books. But as usual, these books sound intriguing. LOVE the covers, John.

    Who said: I imagine that heaven will be sort of like a library. (I'm paraphrasing.)

    Can't remember. But I wish it would be so.

    ReplyDelete